With its state-of-the-art technology, Steinbeis Papier plays a leading role in the paper recycling industry. In the last 15 years alone, the company has invested more than €350 million in modernising the paper machines, in new power plants and technology for generating energy in an environmentally-friendly manner, and in a modern sorting and processing plant for recovered paper. The energy generated by the power plant – which uses the very latest fluidised bed technology and CHP – covers 100% of thermal energy requirements and 50% of the required electricity.
UTILISATION OF RAW MATERIALS
Old becomes new.
Depending on the formula required and the intended whiteness grade of the finished product, different types of recovered paper from commercial and domestic sources are selected for recycling, in accordance with the stringent Blue angel criteria. Recovered paper from domestic collections/deinking paper (newspapers, magazines and advertising leaflets). Multiple prints (wood-free trial runs from printers) and recovered office paper. Reliable procurement and long-term access to recovered paper sources play a key role in Steinbeis' business strategy.
Recycling recoverd paper
Sustainable recycling chain.
We regard the use of recycling technology and closed loop technology as a way of controlling eco-efficiency in our industry whilst at the same time meeting our own requirements for raw materials and energy.
From paper recycling to recycled paper
Perfecting the recycling process is an ongoing challenge. "Paper with best values" is our promise and our commitment to quality.
- In the manufacture of our office, magazine and digital printing papers, we use only gentle, environmentally-friendly processes to achieve maximum whiteness and natural, clean surfaces.
- In order to ensure our products can hold their own against the competition, our papers include all the relevant quality features.
- In order to fully exploit the raw materials we recycle, we use our technology to process even substandard batches of recovered paper.
- We aim to achieve maximum certification in all product lines. Our office paper has been certified with the Blue Angel since 1983. This certification has also been awarded to our coated magazine paper since 2009.
Procurement and production cycles.
Supported by state-of-the-art technology, Steinbeis Papier operates according to the cradle-to-cradle principle. This involves generating virtually all energy needs autonomously, recycling virtually 100% of all materials, and ensuring sustainability across all value chains. Thanks to this holistic approach to recycling, there is no longer any need to dispose of waste via landfills. Paper pulp sludge is burned in the power station or used as a raw material in the brick and cement industry.
- Disposal and processing of recovered paper
- Water use
- Generating and using energy
- Waste recycling
- 100% recycling
We save huge amounts of water thanks to the design of our system:
- We use only surface water from the River Elbe for our entire production process.
- By and large, our water cycle is a closed loop cycle.
- The water we use is purified and recycled on an ongoing basis in the preparation and production processes for recovered paper.
- We operate a fully organic sewage treatment plant which purifies small amounts of waste water which is subsequently channelled back into the River Elbe.
- This water is considerably purer than the stringent, legally prescribed threshold limits.
Together with leading technology companies, our engineers have designed plants and processes which meet the highest ecological demands with regard to closed-loop circulation, material substitution (replacing coal with biogenic fuels) and the recovery of materials:
- By creating integrated, closed loop material cycles, we are able to avoid generating waste in the paper recycling process.
- Any residual or waste materials (metals, paper pulp sludge, inks) are either recycled or used to generate energy.
- Any waste materials which cannot be recycled are used as substitute fuels, which in turn reduces the amount of fossil fuels needed to produce energy.
The energy which Steinbeis generates – partly from waste materials from the production process – covers most of its energy requirements:
- For this purpose, the site includes an ultramodern power plant with fluidised bed technology and combined heat and power.
- The power plant generates 100% of the thermal energy needed by Steinbeis and covers approx. 50% of its electricity requirements, thus achieving an efficiency rate of 87%.
- By using production residues, substitute fuels and biomass as energy sources, we achieve maximum climate protection goals and use energy as efficiently as possible.
- In addition, we operate an intelligent closed water circuit for recycling paper. This minimises our energy requirements – e.g., eliminating the need to repeatedly heat the process water.
QUALITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
Highest quality standards. For recycled paper that sets new standards.
Our quality management and environmental management system, which complies with DIN EN ISO 9001 : 2015, DIN EN ISO 14001 : 2015, DIN EN ISO 50001 and OHSAS 18001 standards for monitoring and controlling business processes, is part and parcel of our factory's returnity cycle strategy – as is also our validation in accordance with EMAS Regulation (EC) 1221/2009. This enables us to consistently take all environmental aspects into account whilst producing products of invariably high quality. Environmental Statement 2017.
BACK TO USE
Remove, recycle, return. The closed loop cycle for recovered paper.
Steinbeis handles the entire chain, from waste management through to recycling through to production. We obtain our secondary raw materials from source and channel these into the upcycling process. In this manner, your waste paper is recovered, recycled and upcycled, entering a never-ending cycle of being used, discarded, processed and re-used. We call this service "Back to Use" because it enables you to cover your paper requirements without having to use primary resources.
Recycling used paper
Back to Use channels waste paper recovered from companies, government offices and local authorities into an upcycling process – a never-ending cycle of disposal, recycling and reutilisation – for the production of Steinbeis' premium quality recycled paper. Our office paper is distributed by wholesalers and OEMs, whilst our magazine paper and digital printing paper is distributed directly by Steinbeis.
Our system partner is authorised to dispose of paper and documents – even those containing sensitive data – in accordance with professional standards.
- Commercial waste disposal for printers, publishing houses, wholesalers and companies
- Communal waste disposal
- Tailored waste management strategies
- Nationwide disposal of files, data carriers and office waste in conjunction with affiliated companies from our corporate group, in accordance with all legal requirements.
- Container systems/container management
With Back to Use, companies, institutions and authorities can benefit from a streamlined procedure in which just one provider disposes of their waste paper and supplies them with new paper, produced in a resource-efficient manner.
- This enables you to enjoy the advantages of a complete process chain – disposal, production, supply –
- and helps you to recycle and reutilise your paper in a never-ending cycle (maximum resource efficiency).
- You benefit from Steinbeis' outstanding LCA performance (use of paper materials in environmental/sustainability report).
- Alternatively, you can ask your disposal company to deliver your waste paper to Steinbeis.
- By doing so, you support environmentally-friendly supply chain management.
- You tap into a sustainable instrument which shapes economic and industrial processes in an environmentally-friendly manner.
- Handling your paper requirements in an ecologically responsible manner can add another piece to the puzzle of your sustainability strategy.